Acoustics study: INTO furniture effectively reduces office noise pollution
“Thanks to their innovative design and sound-friendly construction materials, INTO the Nordic Silence furniture solutions effectively block sound in the open space.”
Acoustic office furniture is quickly becoming the go-to choice for businesses and organizations grappling with the issue of noise pollution in an open office environment. A study conducted in May 2015 by internationally recognized architect–acoustics consultant Alpo Halme confirms that INTO the Nordic Silence furniture achieves what it promises: a pleasant work environment devoid of noise and commotion.
Businesses typically choose open plan offices because of their ability to bring down rent costs and stimulate interaction and coworking among staff. However, researchers working in the field of business management and work wellbeing have brought to light the model’s potential drawbacks – most importantly, the loss of peace and privacy that comes with sharing a common space with up to dozens of people at once.
More than a mere workplace nuisance, noise pollution in an open work environment can cause a major drop in employee productivity. Tasks requiring complex verbal process are especially prone to suffering from constant interruptions and chatter. At its worst, noise pollution can be a serious psychological and physical health hazard, contributing to increased sick leaves.
All business managers should be concerned with findings as significant as these. After all, why invest in an open office environment if the togetherness it brings will kill rather than boost productivity and employee well-being?
Luckily, there is an easy solution.
Acoustic furniture restores silence in the open office
The INTO the Nordic Silence concept of sound-friendly furniture was created for a simple reason: to bring back peace and privacy to open offices. To make sure our clients are really getting their money’s worth, we invited architect-acoustics consultant Alpo Halme to conduct a thorough acoustics study at our showroom in Vallila, Helsinki.
The showroom is 6 meters tall with some acoustic paneling in the ceiling.
The results were unambiguous. Alpo and his team found INTO furniture solutions to dramatically cut down noise in the open space. Thanks to their innovative design and sound-friendly construction materials, our room-like Pod spaces achieve near-total silence while our semi-open Roll In, Focus and Cube workstations effectively block sound in the open space.
Some findings from the study
- POD rooms are roughly as sound-proof as conventional, fixed meeting rooms with double plasterboards and 100 mm mineral wool between them
- POD PHONE mutes and breaks down speech effectively, rendering it unintelligible to anybody outside the booth
- The semi-enclosed ROLL IN workstation diffuses sound six times more effectively than mere open space would
- The sound-absorbing qualities of FOCUS, another semi-enclosed workstation, are equivalent to those of a well-made flush door; if two FOCUS workstations are faced towards each other, their users will hear each other’s speech and movement as if they were really 15 meters apart in open space
- CUBE allows people sitting across from each other to hold a conversation while rendering speech barely intelligible to anybody positioned behind the couch
Don’t believe it? Visit our showroom and test the products for yourself!
- Come and try our co-working space in ID Helsinki, 11th to 12th September 2018! 04.09.18
- Culture@work - INTO the Nordic Silence at Orgatec 2018 15.08.18
- Acoustics and sound reduction 23.08.18
- Functional activity-based office 15.08.18
- INTO the Nordic Silence’s POD PHONE booths in the energy company Gasum’s cosy and spacious activity based office 06.07.18
- Thank you for visiting our stand at Architect@Work 22.05.18
- INTO the Nordic Silence at ARCHITECT@WORK in Copenhagen: 16th-17th of May 2018 26.03.18
- Long and productive lunches with good conscience! 16.03.18
- INTO Concept is recruiting! 01.03.18
- BRIGHT & HEALTHY WORKSPACES! 22.02.18
- INTO the Nordic Silence product novelties at the Stockholm Furniture & Light Fair, 6th -10th February 2018 05.02.18
- INTO VR- PRODUCT TOUR 05.02.18
- Virtual Experience meets functional design - INTO the Nordic Silence product novelties at the Stockholm Furniture & Light Fair, 6th -10th February 2018 25.01.18
- INTO the Nordic Silence furniture concept brings color and functionality to the new Variantum office 12.01.18
- INTO the Nordic Silence at Stockholm Furniture Fair 6th -10th February 2018 04.01.18
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! 20.12.17
- INTO team at 600 Minutes Property and Facility Management event in Stockholm 23.11.17
- The new office of Kolster moved to Salmisaari, as did POINT sofas from INTO the Nordic Silence furniture concept 17.11.17
- INTO the Nordic Silence furniture concept’s products featured at the new premises of Nordic bank SEB 10.11.17
- Workplace healers – restrain the noise at open plan office 03.11.17
- European Architects’ Alliance visited INTO showroom 04.10.17
- Thanks for all INTO KIMPASSA -pop up visitors! 22.09.17
- INTO PIUKEENA party tonight 15.9.2017 15.09.17
- Key note speakers of the week in the pop up -coworking space 12.09.17
- INTO KIMPASSA pop up is now open! 11.09.17
- INTO KIMPASSA* Pop up -coworking space in the city centre of Helsinki 11.-15.9.2017 30.08.17
- Craving for a new experience and a place to sleep on week 37? 29.08.17
- INTO is taking over the world – next step Qatar and Oman! 23.08.17
- INTO the Nordic Silence at Stockholm Furniture Fair 7th-11th February 2017 07.02.17
- INTO the Nordic Silence Got an Honoured Award in Fennia Prize -Competition 25.01.17
- INTO the Nordic Silence at Stockholm Furniture Fair 7th - 11th February 2017 09.12.16
- INTO at Orgatec fair in Cologne 25th to 29th October 2016 30.06.16
- Meet CUBE! 11.05.16
- INTO at Stockholm Furniture & Light Fair 9.-13.2.2016 05.02.16
- INTO makes a small but sweet appearance in this Helsinki office 08.09.15
- Leading media group Sanoma Media embraced INTO the Nordic Silence 30.06.15
- City of Espoo office turned a new leaf with INTO the Nordic Silence furniture 29.06.15
- INTO brings sustainable furniture design to Stora Enso’s biorefinery in Stockholm 26.06.15
- Acoustics study: INTO furniture effectively reduces office noise pollution 16.06.15
- INTO the Nordic Silence at Stockholm Furniture Fair 2015 28.01.15
- Many International Businesses Have Chosen INTO Products to Their Open Plan Offices 27.01.15